Friday, September 11, 2009

Burying The Lead

Before I go any farther down the road, let me pause for a second and tell you where exactly it is that I am going. Duh. I am going to San Francisco. I will not have flowers in my hair, but I will have good friends there! Maybe you remember these guys, Danie and Jesse, my best good friends I met in Las Vegas:

There I am with Danie when she came to visit in NY. There are Danie and Jesse together at the ch. 8 Christmas party circa 2007. Which reminds me of maybe the saddest part of leaving NY... it all began the year before, at the 2006 party, when I won the only thing I've ever won in my life (like thing, not money from poker).

I remember it like yesterday. The moment had come - at the end of a long night of waiting in the buffet line repeatedly for tortellini and prime rib, finagling for more and more all-important free drink tickets, and watching other people win other prizes - for the grand prize drawing. The suspense in the ballroom was thick, everyone at the station had been talking with lustful desire in their eyes for weeks about the grand prize and everyone wanted to hear their name called at this moment. But it was not to be for anyone else, for out of the hat they pulled... my name, I - me, lowly video editor - had won! It was shocking. The grand prize was a beautiful 32" LCD HDTV... totally FREE! It was a victory for me and for all the production staff, so tired of seeing all the good prizes won by the anchors, producers, or advertising people.. I am sure I would have been carried out on their shoulders if they weren't also so bitterly jealous. If I could have shared my prize with everyone at that party I would have, but in the end there was but one TV and, well, someone had to take it home.

Well, that's how I remember it anyway. The TV really was beautiful too, and did I mention FREE! We had a good run together, but alas, I had to leave behind my beloved in Jersey.. a fate I would not wish on my worst enemy. She just wouldn't fit in the car.. I tried and tried but there was just no way. Very sad.

Anyway, that's all in the past now and I have to do my best to move on. Where was I? Right.. Danie and Jesse moved to San Francisco only a few months after I moved to New York. They love it there and I don't see why I won't too.. especially with their friendly faces there to greet me. I mean come on, it's San Francisco! Golden bridges, fisherman's wharfs, fog, hills, cable cars, that pyramid building, the Pacific Ocean, the 49ers! I am sure I will love it. They tell me we will eat really well, too. So, I have that going for me. All I need to do now is find a place to live and a job to support myself... details. I'm sure it'll all work out. Now here's a pretty picture of my new home (as of Oct. 1, 2009) to distract you from asking me too many questions about the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment